Honorable Mention: Until The End Of The World - U2 - Not so much a story, but a conversation between Jesus and Judas has to rank here somewhere!
8) Romeo and Juliet- Indigo Girls (I think their version rocks more than Dire Straits!). Amy Ray just belts the lyrics out and conveys a lot more emotion than Mark Knopfler's slow simmer.
7) Jeremy - Pearl Jam - Not a happy song.
6) Paul Revere - Beastie Boys - Has there been anything as good as these three guys ever?
5) Don't Stand So Close To Me - The Police (try to disregard the Mardi Gras pirate attire). It's a messed up story of obsession and desire at it's best.
4) El Paso + Feleena - Marty Robbins- Such a great song cycle. Feleena is even better than El Paso, which is pretty hard to beat.
3) Red Barchetta - Rush - 1981 was a good year! This song was my gateway drug to music. Maybe not the best story on this list, but damn I still love this song!
2) Tangled Up In Blue - Robert Zimmerman - the Jerry Garcia Band version is a very close second that I almost put on, but Bob's original is just so great! This rolling & rolicking story is just amazing!
1) Boy Named Sue - Johnny Cash - Can. Not. Top. Story telling at it's best!